On Thursday, I was invited to speak at Bank Negara Malaysia on the topic of “Unlock Your Child’s Potential: Important Skills for the 21st Century Child”.
I wanted to thank Bank Negara Malaysia for the honour of speaking at their company and all the staff who made me feel so welcomed and at ease. Special thanks to Puan Nabilah and Puan Norlela for organising the event, and to Muid Latif, our illustrious emcee for the afternoon. Not forgetting the team at MPH Publishing – Zuraini, Bibiana, and Lilian – for their tireless support.
Parenting is an ongoing journey of life-long learning. Even as our children are growing and developing, we are also expanding and evolving in our roles as parents. It was uplifting to see so many parents committed to the endeavour of raising the whole child.
As parents nurturing our children for a brighter future, we cannot focus only on developing their minds but we must also take care of their hearts and bodies as well. I look forward to building a bigger community of dedicated parents because it takes a village to raise a child.
— Muid Latif (@muidlatif) August 3, 2017
The following were some of the topics covered on the day:
- Why Social Skills are the way forward for the 21st Century Child.
- What are the Executive Functions, why they matter and how we can help children develop them.
- Self-Control as a predictor of future success.
- The Zones of Regulation – a tool for helping children with self-regulation.
- Why Failure is crucial for the developing child.
- How Mindsets affect our children’s approach to learning and life.
- Maslow’s Hierarchy and how it affects your child’s achievements in life.
- Learning Strategies that deepens your child’s learning, understanding and recall: